ホーム > 稲むらの火の館 > Inamura-no-Hi no Yakata > Archive Room “Tsunami Prevention” ―People of Hirogawa-cho Inheriting goryo's Spirit of Disaster Prevention―

Archive Room “Tsunami Prevention” ―People of Hirogawa-cho Inheriting goryo's Spirit of Disaster Prevention―

Archive Room 

Disasters are said to usually happen when people least expect them. The history of Hirogawa-cho reveals to us the importance of fostering daily preparation while handing down the inspiration of goryo.

Inherited Spirit Embankment Maintenance History

1855 (Ansei 2)

history1Commenced Construction of the Hiromura Embankment

fire 
1858 (Ansei 5)
The Hiromura Embankment Completed 
history2
fire
1903 (Meiji 36)

history3Origin of the Tsunami Festival 
To comfort the spirits of victims of the great 1854 (Ansei 1) tsunami and recall the achievements and virtue of Hamaguchi goryo, who constructed the large breakwater, volunteers from Hiro-mura village began piling earth on the embankment on November 5 using the Old Calendar as a 50th anniversary memorial. That is the origin of the Tsunami Festival which is still being held today.

1904 (Meiji 37) The pine trees planted along the Hiromura Embankment were incorporated into forest reserves for use in tide-water control and as a windbreak.
1913 (Taisho 2) The embankment protected Hiro-mura village from storm surges (high tide).
1926 (Showa 1) An iron tide gate called Aka-mon was built where the Hiromura Embankment had been partially cut for a passage through it.
1933 (Showa 8) An appreciation monument was erected and unveiling ceremony held at the Tsunami Festival. “Origin of Appreciation Monument” (written by Hamaguchi Esho) published.
1936 (Showa 11) Repairs on the Hiromura Embankment completed and a monument erected.
1937 (Showa 12)  

history4“The Fire of Rice Sheaves” (written by Nakai Tsunezo) was adopted for use in government-designated textbooks. 

1938 (Showa 13) The Hiromura Embankment was designated a national historic site . 
history5
Photo Credit: Tsymura Kenshiro
1940 (Showa 15) “How to teach ‘The Fire of Rice Sheaves’ ” by Dr. Imamura Akitsune reprinted.
point
1944 (Showa 19)
The embankment protected Hiro-mura village from the tsunami caused by the Higashinankai Earthquake.
point1946 (Showa 21) The embankment protected Hiro-mura village from the tsunami caused by the Nankai Earthquake.
1947 (Showa 22)

history6Hamaguchi Gihee (Godou) explains “the origin of the forest for tide-water control and windbreak” to the Emperor.

1948 (Showa 23) A document entitled “To People in Hiro-mura village Concerning Tsunami Caused by Nankai Earthquake and Nankaido Earthquake in Showa” submitted by Dr. Imamura Akitsune.
1951 (Showa 26)

history7Protection and repair work on the embankment in the Hiro Bay area commenced. 

1952 (Showa 27) “Brief History of Tsunamis and the Disaster Prevention Facility” published.
1961 (Showa 36)  

history8Protection and repair work on the embankment in the Hiro Bay area completed. 

1967 (Showa 42) A bronze statue of Hamaguchi goryo was constructed in the schoolyard of Taikyu Junior High School .
1980 (Showa 55)  

history9A new tide gate, Aka-mon, was built . 

1985 (Showa 60) A memorial service and lecture were held for the 100th anniversary of the death of Hamaguchi goryo.
1987 (Showa 62) Nakai Tsunezo, the author of “The Fire of Rice Sheaves,” was commended by the Minister of the National Land Agency for his achievement.
1993 (Heisei 5)   

history10Maintenance work on the Hiromura Embankment commenced.

1997 (Heisei 9) A statue of goryo was erected in the “Inamura-no-Hi” Square in front of the Hirogawa-cho Town Office.
1998 (Heisei 10) The National Tsunami Prevention Summit for coastal cities, towns and villages was held in Hirogawa-cho.
1999 (Heisei 11) The Empress referred to “the fire of rice sheaves” in relation to disaster-prevention measures in a news conference.
2002 (Heisei 14) The 100th Tsunami Festival held.
fire 2003 (Heisei 15)  

history11The first Inamura-no-hi Festival was held with a torchlight parade. 

2005 (Heisei 17) “The Association of Inamura-no-hi” was established in order to enhance education on disaster prevention for children.
2007 (Heisei 19) “Inamura-no-Hi no Yakata,” consisting of the Hamaguchi goryo Archives and the Tsunami Educational Center, established.
 
Last updated:2017.4.18

Opening Hours

  • 10: 00 a.m.-5: 00 p.m.
    [Admission deadline time is 4 pm]

Closed

  • Monday.
    (Public Holiday open)
    ※Opening November 5
  • Year-end and New Year holidays
    (December 29 to January 4)

Visitors Guidance

Information for Exhibition Guidance

Information on Walking around Historic Sites Related to goryo

Overview of Inamura-no-Hi no Yakata

Archive Collection

Website information